This couple was expecting boy/girl twins and wanted a nursery that was gender neutral but not boring. To add to the excitement, they were moving out of their condo from the Chicago neighborhood of Logan Square and moving into a vintage farmhouse in the western suburb of La Grange.
As interior designers, we find inspiration in the strangest of places. For the inspiration of this nursery, we got hooked on an animal theme after finding a stuffed fox at Ikea.
What We Did
For this nursery, we selected all of the furniture, designed custom artwork and selected the accessories.
- To keep the nursery gender neutral, we picked a muted paint tone and selected furniture that had a rustic modern feel.
- Bill created a piece of custom art featuring a fox that is the focal point of the nursery.
- Instead of selecting a borning changing table, we found a standard nightstand that has ample storage for diaper supplies and other baby clothing.
- A large metal bird sculpture offers plenty of space to showcase accessories.
- Critical to any nursery is a comfortable rocker or recliner. We focused on finding one that was comfortable and didn’t look like the standard wood glider that you see in every nursery.
- A bold turquoise rug helps add a punch of color to the nursery.
- The large ceramic sheep not only makes a bold statement, but acts as a toy for toddlers to hold on to and crawl on (and can double as a footrest for adults).
- White shadow boxes were used to display hospital bands and other mementos from the birth of the children for all to see instead of hiding them away in a baby book.
- A webcam with infrared night vision offers an excellent (and affordable) way to keep an eye on the children during the day or night.
Nursery Video Overview
Other Bedroom Design Projects
Want to take a look at some other master bedroom and guest bedroom designs that we have come up with for other customers in the Chicago area? Click one of the links below to see more photos and examples of our work.
Need Help Designing Your Own Bedroom?
Do you need some help with re-decorating your bedroom? Reach out to us to let us know more about your project and we will see what we can do to help you out.
Need a little help?
We can have a designer stop by your home for a few hours to help you pick out paint colors or provide some quick design advice to help finish off your space.
Need a lot of help?
We can help out with your entire room and and other rooms if necessary. Learn more about our full-service interior design projects by clicking on the button below.